Friday, August 29, 2008

It's Time for Stormy Weather


I was thinking about the UGA Alerts we kept getting in class last Tuesday and I started freaking out: Mark would TOTALLY make us go outside in inclement weather! I can see it now: the flickering lights... the howling winds... the plastic bags being strapped around the camera...

I decided to search the interweb for something usuable for us in case this actually happens. Best to be prepared, right? Check out [this website] for some good advice on storm chasing. The section is called "Gear and Strategy" which I thought was the most relevant to our photog cause. Pay special attention to the "What and where do chasers eat?" section. While this doesn't immediately relate to photojournalism, a fed journalist is a happy journalist.

1 comment:

Mark E. Johnson said...

You bet I would make you go outside ... note this line from the syllabus:

"Photographs and stories need to resonate with readers – this is not a class for artists, no fuzzy pictures of trees allowed. (Hurricane coverage, maybe, excepted from this rule.)"

Note that article is pretty old (2000), so the film being better lines are very suspect ...

Storm chasing is one of those things I still want to do.