Friday, October 17, 2008

Born Into Brothels: Documentary Film


Remember my post about Wendy Ewald and her book, "I Wanna Take Me a Picture"? 

Well,  Zana Briski took the same idea to the brothels of Calcutta India and later made a documentary film, titled "Born Into Brothels," of her experience.  Briski teaches photography classes to the children of prostitutes, gaining unbelievable access into their lives through the photographs they take. The children's photographs illuminate the way they see the world through the stories that they choose to tell with their camera. 

Briski later established a non-profit called Kids with Cameras that has spread this teaching method across the world. 

My favorite quote from the Kids with Cameras website: "We believe that photography is an effective tool in igniting children's imagination and building self esteem." Not the definition of photography from a journalist's perspective, I know, but, the documentary is a very effective journalistic tool to tell the story of these children in the red-light district of  Calcutta. 

I really recommend this documentary if you have not seen it already. I know Vision Video has it for rent.

1 comment:

Amanda Harkins said...

I love this movie! I saw it during documentary last year (the boyfriend has an amazing Netflix queue). I was feeling a little discouraged at the time, but it reminded me why I love photography.

Rent it, everybody. Let's freak Vision Video out by attempting to get it all at once.