Thursday, October 16, 2008

Gainesville Sun Phlog

Photographers for the Gainesville Sun have a photo blog where they post pics and slideshows of things they shoot for the paper. It's nice because sometimes they'll add a little backstory blurb about the idea/technique behind the photo, besides just the caption. Also they run the pics sort of huge like the Boston Globe's blog, which I like. They haven't updated since August which makes me sad, but I guess that means they're nice and busy. I like the black-and-white slideshow about Hurricane Fay in the most recent entry.

--edit
So after looking through all the archives, I realized that all the posts that made me say Wow in my head (like "Wow," in my head, not "Wow in my head." That would be silly) were made by staff photog Brandon Kruse. So I found his photo blog. It's rad, you should go see. Also is updated more frequently.

---edit edit
Ok so for the past two weeks I've totally slacked on the blog posts but tonight for some reason I'm on fire. Getty just decided to give 4 grants of $5,000 each for editorial photography to students currently enrolled in photojournalism courses. Info and application here. You have to have a story proposal of up to 500 words (hey maybe you could just tinker with your Alexia one!) and upload a portfolio of 20-25 images onto their ftp thinger. Submission guidelines are very specific, make sure you follow. Deadline November 15.

AND one more thing. A Photo A Day.

1 comment:

Amanda Harkins said...

Thanks so much for posting this. It's crazy to think that this is just up the road. I love Brandon Kruse's work! Really nice use of color and signs (though I don't normally like sign photos).

I really liked the execution photos. It's peaceful, but still powerful. The photo of the supporters-just a family in shadows-was really well done.