Friday, September 26, 2008

Another Mediastorm Multimedia Piece: The Ninth Floor

Last year, mej posted this on the UGA Photojournalism blog. I don't know how frequently everybody checks that blog, so I wanted to post this again here. After Lesley's post guided me back to this site, I revisited this story. 

This multimedia piece had a really deep impact on me after watching it the first time. And, maybe even deeper after watching it again recently. A lot of the scenes are very graphic depictions of drugs, sex and violence. Just a warning: if you are uncomfortable with these you may not want to watch this. 

The intimate access that this journalist got into the lives of these subjects is remarkable. This is truly a story that needs to be told. And, is impossible to do so with out this level of access. 

2 comments:

Lesley Onstott said...

I really enjoyed watching this piece. I especially liked to low resolution (?)/quality of the photos, which added to the feel of the piece. It really is amazing how the photographer was let into their lives. The images were very Nan Goldin to me!

Amanda Harkins said...

I remember sitting quietly for a moment after I saw this...so many things go unseen. I agree with Lesley, the amount of access the photographer got was incredible.

I bet we've passed buildings like the Ninth Floor and never known the amazing stories inside.