Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Where the Heck Have I Been?

Since we only have class once a week, it was not too noticeable that I have been gone for a week.  But where..?
Lol. I have been in NYC for Fashion Week interning with a fashion PR firm, and Mark wants me to share a bit about it.  

PHOTOGRAPHY aspects:
Although I could go on for days about which collections were the best, I just wanted to share a few things about being a photographer in an environment like that:

1) Very much like a football game, photographers are everywhere with multiple lenses.  Many carried at least 2 camera bodies--one w/ a short and one w/a long lens.  
    * NOTE: They used the SAME 70-200 lenses as we have in our camera kits!! 

2) Inside the shows, press is allowed at an area facing the end of the runway, less than five feet away.  Each photographer has a taped off 2'x2' box in which to stand in.  (Usually everyone is just bunched in as tightly as possible...screw the boxes).
* This is a horrible photo from my phone, but behind the people there is a white square against the wall. Press needs to be the width of that white area and as far in front as is taped off. It is NOT a very big space, and there can be 200 ppl there, depending on the popularity of the show.




3) Runway shows are probably hard to photograph: The audience is in near blackness, but the runway is blindingly lit.  There were a lot of off camera light-meters in action prior to the shows.
   * Press is let in abt 15 minutes before the shows, but luckily the venues are pretty standard--except for the Promenade at Bryant Park which is outdoors.
   
   *I've included this picture of LL and GF at Charlotte Ronson because 
1. this one of our firm's shows (yea!) and...
2. so you can see how dark everything is behind them although they are pretty bright in the first row.  This picture has been lightened as well, I'm sure.

4) They chimp like CRAZY, so I'm sure they carry a ridiculous battery pack.

5) If you work for a trashy newspaper or tabloid, wear your running shoes. When one photographer runs, everyone starts running--chances are, there's a celebrity ducking off somewhere and you need to get the money shot! Cha Ching! (for Morgan:)

Well, that's all I can think of to say about photojournalism and fashion. Enjoy!
Chanelle

4 comments:

anna said...

chanelle. i am so jealous it is painful.

d said...

We missed you! Did you get to take some photos while you were there? I want to see them!

Beth Cooper said...

you have to tell us more about how you got to go to this fabulous event?!? What PR firm?

Chanelle White said...

Lol. You Guys!!!
Anna: Don't be jealous, you can do it too! Offer yourself as free labor, and see how many people take you up on it! Just don't stay in a hotel, my bill was 2 grand when I checked out.
Danielle: I didn't even have time for thinking my own thoughts, let alone taking photos--unfortunately. I snuck one picture on my phone before I was called backstage to do more crazy things. :(
Beth: I sent an email to this firm, Seventh House PR, and they were basically like, "Sure!" There are plenty of other firms for fashion in NY and LA of course. Not so much in Atlanta, which is lame.