Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mobile Photojournalism

I found an interesting blog, where this guy Charlie Saceda posts news photos taken using only the camera on his mobile phone. He is a photojournalist in the Philippines, who currently works for a daily national publication there. With all the debate today about what is journalism and what isn't, I was intrigued to see this man crossing over onto both sides of the fence.

On this web site, you can see some of his professional work (using a real camera). Scroll down and take a look at the Gallery section. Some nice use of wide-angle in there.

Or if you're REALLY into it, you can check out his Flickr Photostream.

2 comments:

Charlie Saceda said...

Hi.

Thank you for noticing my blog on the web.

I'm Charlie Saceda, photojournalist for the Philippine Star in the Philippines.

I use my mobile phone which is a SonyEricsson because it has that option to send the blog directly to blogger. I know Nokia does too but I think the blog it points to isn't free.

Recently, I haven't posted much because of technical difficulties in cellular technology. Most of the cellular sites here are not that upgraded hence do not offer a strong continuous 3G capability.

I also have a blog at fotoreportage.wordpress.com

This is a photojournalism class right? If there's some questions on the photos or anything about photojournalism and the Philippines, I would be glad to help or share my experiences.

I have been a news photographer for a national paper since I was 17 in 1997 when I was going to college for a different course. In my lifetime as a photojourn, I have covered insurgencies and war in the southern Philippines.

I can be emailed at csphoto.philstar@gmail.com

Ellie Mann said...

Charlie,

Do you think that using your mobile phone allows you to gain access into areas that would be impossible with a larger camera. In other words, do you think that because a cell phone is smaller, it is less invasive and sometimes a more "appropriate" journalism tool?

Thanks for commenting on our blog! Yes, this is a photojournalism class at the University of Georgia. We are really grateful to have you comments.