Thursday, September 18, 2008

Documentary Photographer: Wendy Ewald


When I took photography with the art school (shhh don't tell mej) two years ago, my teacher introduced me to Wendy Ewald, a documentary photographer who has committed her life to teaching young children photography. She started a program within the Durham Public Schools called Literacy Through Photography that, "at it's core... encourages children to explore their world as they photograph scenes from their own lives, and then use their images as catalysts for verbal and written expression." I really admire Ewald's passion for empowering children to visually communicate their stories. Especially, now that art is being cut from almost every public school and kids are no longer learning any form of visual communication. 

3 comments:

anna said...

That's amazing. Didn't a group of UGA undergrads go to an Athens elementary school and teach a little photo class last year? I wonder if that's a recurring thing.

Ellie Mann said...

i know that a group of UGA students worked with the Boys and Girls club to teach them photography... not sure about an elementary school. But, i don't know if you have seen the movie Born Into Brothels- it is a documentary film that centers on the same idea in Calcutta, India. I would highly recommend it.

Sydney H. Oh said...

I really like this idea, and I wanted to go to the photo club last year to help teach the children photography too. I wonder if the opportunity to teach them will come up again.