Friday, September 26, 2008

Something Different to Try

I know I keep posting about things that aren't actually photojournalism-related, but hopefully they're still interesting in a more general photographic sense.

Anyone seen infrared photography? Black and white images with dark skies and light foliage and basically where some of the colors tones look a lot different than they should?


What about COLOR IR? Now I've always thought this is some neat stuff:

The mechanics are different depending on how you want to do it (for film users there is actually infrared-specific film made by Kodak and a few others; you can have the IR-blocking chip in your digital camera removed; or you can buy a filter), but the results are always pretty unusual and neat-looking. The cheapest/easiest way (especially if you don't want to permanently alter your camera) is to buy a filter, usually by either Hoya or Wratten, and take one picture with it on and the same one with it off (you'll need something to brace it). I used to play around with this myself on my old camera, but since I bought a Rebel XT the filter thread is too big now for the lenses I have, so I've had to put it on hold. Even if you didn't want to do IR specifically, though, there are some interesting things you can do just playing around with the filter itself and different white balances.

To read more about it, check out this link. It's pretty long and technical, but it'll tell you essentially everything you need to know to get started.

(A sidenote: they specifically mention the 30D as being a pretty decent camera to do it with...)

No comments: