Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Carolyn Cole

I looked up the story for which she won a Pulitzer in 2004, about the clash of government and rebel soldiers in Monrovia, Liberia.
The ones I can't stop looking at are the photos of the refugee children, like Tehneh Johnson in the yellow and red shirt, the three children bathing, and Patirnel Boima in the pink towel. I feel like I could not have composed those better if I had sat down and painted them, and also had an amazing ability to paint.

Also, LA Times has a multimedia package of the same story, which includes audio of an interview w/ Carolyn Cole. There's shocking quotes in that, when she talks about how the search for food occupies most everyone's time, how they have to walk three hours (if they're able) to find it, how children there probably get one handful of rice a day, if that. And the pictures, I think, make very apparent the danger she put herself in to show this story.

2 comments:

anna said...

Also, past Feature Photography Pulitzer winners are here:
http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Feature+Photography
I looked at the 2008 and 2007 winners (Preston Gannaway and Renee C. Byer) and I know I have not seen anything like those stories.

Allison said...

Her picture with the desks and the small boy on the mattress is so descriptive of how war overwhelms the people who have to suffer through it.